Sunday, August 28, 2011

Eat: Blueberry Pancakes with a healthy twist!

I am not a morning person. If you do not believe me, just ask my husband. However, my dislike for the morning has never swayed me from my love of breakfast food. This recipe for blueberry "bran-cakes" was appealing because 1. It sounded healthy and 2. It did not require a trip to the grocery store. Considering how busy the weekend was, the latter of these two held a lot of weight. I had hoped that my first recipe post would feature something really exotic or challenging, but my hectic schedule just did not allow for such indulgence...

Truthfully, it felt like it took forever to make these pancakes but that is likely because I am a Bisquick mix kind of girl. That being said, they were so fluffy and delicious that it is definitely worth the extra time. Also, do not be afraid of the bran element in this dish, I promise that you cannot taste it at all!

TIME: 20-30 minutes (including preparation and cooking)
YIELDS: approximately 15 pancakes
MY SOUNDTRACK: Baby Dayliner, Andrew Bird


1 cup bran flakes
1 egg, beaten
1 + 1/4 cups milk (we use skim)
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 cups blueberries (if using frozen, thaw ahead of time)

After you gather all of the ingredients, crush the bran cereal. For some reason, I started out crushing each flake individually with my fingers. After two flakes it became very apparent that this was a horribly inefficient idea, so I put all of the cereal in a ziplock bag and channeled any pent-up frustration I might have had into smashing.

Next, stir together the cereal, egg, milk, and oil. Set the mixture aside for approximately five minutes to let the batter soften. You can spend these five minutes reflecting on how wonderfully domestic you are. You can also turn on your griddle or cook top to medium heat.

Add the remaining ingredients (except the blueberries!) and stir until well blended. If the batter is too thick, add just a bit more milk.

Lastly, stir the blueberries into the batter.

Pour ¼ cup of batter onto heated griddle. Once you notice little bubbles appearing, flip the pancake. You may need to flip it a few more times until it is golden brown on both sides.



Side note: If you have a griddle like mine, it adjusts by specific temperatures instead of settings. I did a little research and found that anywhere between 250°F to 350°F is considered “medium”.

This week’s recipe came from Zorba’s Paster’s website .

Sneak peak for next week: tofu!

No comments:

Post a Comment