Thursday, September 20, 2012

Eat: Frozen Yogurt Pops!

People get excited about all sorts of things: new cars, fancy clothes, entertainment centers, fine jewelry, the latest Apple product, and so on.

Me? I get excited about a popsicle mold.

Oh boy, was I jazzed when I opened this birthday gift that I not-so-subtly asked Matthew to get me. (Ahem...an email with direct links to it on Amazon.)


As I have referenced previously, I love my sweet treats but thanks to my husband I have seen the healthy light. I try to find ways to satisfy my cravings while not skyrocketing my daily caloric intake. These popsicle molds will help tremendously in this effort. The best part is that you really don't need recipes; simply mix together yogurt (regular or greek, flavored or plain) with some fresh fruit, preserves, chocolate, or whatever else you fancy.

That being said, I've been gathering recipes like crazy. Here are just a few of the more elaborate ones I'm going to try!

Note: unless indicated otherwise, all of these recipes involve the same preparation--mix ingredients together, pour into molds (leaving 1 inch empty at top), freeze 4+ hours.

Pumpkin Pie, by Family Fresh Cooking
1 cup milk or fat-free yogurt
3 ounces unsweetened pumpkin purée
Sweetener, to taste (maple syrup, honey, agave...)
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
pinch of fine sea salt

Vietnamese Coffee, by David Lebovitz
2 cups strong coffee or espresso
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
Regular milk, to taste

Faux Dreamsicles
2 cups yogurt
1.5 cups orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

"Spa Day", by Family Fresh Cooking
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups cold water
Sweetener, to taste
1 cup julienned seedless cucumber

Combine juice, water, and sweetener. Fill popsicle molds 2/3 with the mix. Freeze uncovered for about 1 hour. Take the molds out of the freezer and scrape out the ice crystals. Stir this ice with the cucumber and spoon it all back into the molds. Freeze an additional 4-5 hours.
 
Apple Cider and Rosemary, by Bon Appetit

Combine in a saucepan:
4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half

Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium for about 20-25 minutes. Strain into a large (4 cup) container. Cool to room temperature and stir in 4 teaspoons of cider vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract.


Note: It is not lost on me that popsicle season is rapidly coming to a close, but I don't care! I'm going to bundle up next to the fireplace and enjoy me some frozen yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment